Sunday, February 8, 2009

Cabbage Soup

I could not let that beautiful head of cabbage go to waste. Even though I had never made cabbage soup before, I thought I would give it a shot. I went online found three recipes, combined them and came up with this one.

Beef Cabbage Soup
Cook Time: 9 hours

Ingredients:
1 small head of cabbage, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
1 large carrot, thinly sliced
1 medium potato, cubed
2 ribs celery, sliced in 1/2-inch pieces ( I used dried celery leaves and seeds)
1 clove of garlic, minced
3 cups beef broth (can make from bouillon or base and hot water)(I make stock every time we have chicken or turkey so I had some frozen that I used)
1 steak or other meat, about 1 pound (I used elk)
1 Bay leaf
1 tsp coriander seed, ground
1 tsp cumin
½ tsp nutmeg
coarsely ground pepper
salt to taste

Preparation:
Sautee’ onions until translucent remove from pan and quickly stir the meat into the hot oil to brown. Combine all ingredients in the slow cooker/Crock Pot. Cover and cook for 8 to 10 hours on low. Taste before serving; add salt and more pepper if necessary.
Serve with biscuits or crusty bread.
Recipe serves 4

It was surprisingly good! I had two bowls and so did Gary and he is pretty picky.

No comments:

Post a Comment