Friday, February 13, 2009

Brussel Sprouts, Who knew it could taste good!

Brussel Sprouts are one of those vegetables that I never thought I would say I enjoyed eating but, I can say that now. As I wrote earlier one of my egg customers brought some Organic veggies over. How could I not eat them? I had Cabbage Soup earlier this week, then I used the Broccoli in a delicious Stir Fry (I blanched all the Broccoli and froze what I did not use for later) and now I will share the Brussel Sprouts Recipe I used.

Brussels Sprouts Recipe

Ingredients

  • 1 lb fresh brussels sprouts
  • 4-6 Tbsp butter
  • 1/2 onion, chopped
  • Salt and Pepper
  • ¼ cup shredded parmesan cheese

Method

1 Steam brussels sprouts for 3-4 minutes until just tender. Split one open to see if it has cooked to the middle. Strain and place in a bowl of ice water to keep the color bright green. Cut into halves.

2 Sauté onions in 2-3 Tbsp of butter in a wide sauté pan until the onions are translucent. Add the brussels sprout halves and 2-3 Tbsp more of butter and cook on medium high heat for several more minutes, until the sprouts have reached your desired level of doneness. Add salt and pepper to taste while the sprouts are cooking. Whatever you do, do not over-cook, as the sprouts will be bitter.

3 Remove from heat, put into serving dish sprinkle parmesan cheese over the top. Add salt and pepper if needed.

Serves 6-8.

No comments:

Post a Comment