Sunday, February 15, 2009

Betelgeuse

One of my companion animals is a Meyers parrot I have named Betelgeuse, no not after the movie Beetlejuice, after the Red Giant Star Betelgeuse.
I was going for a Science Name. I like Sci-fi and was going to name him Andromeda after a show I was following at the time I bought him, but was discouraged from doing so. After much deliberation Betelgeuse was found to be acceptable so from henceforth he was so named.
Last fall he began his usual moult, only this this year he hasn't stopped moulting. At first I noticed his legs were looking a little bare, then it is his sides. Not really noticeable as he needs to lift his wings to see the loss of feathers.

Now his chest is beginning to look "ratty" It is not barren, yet, but certainly not the smooth sea foam green it should be.
I have tried to google the condition to see if there is any information, but so far have not turned up anything. Except for the loss of feathers he is fine. Great appetite, active, no change in personality, just the loss of feathers. I can't afford to take him to the vet.

No comments:

Post a Comment